Tuesday, 19 August 2008

Firsts

Last night was Olive's first night in her big girl bed. She is quite the monkey at bedtime (think of Lola saying "I am not tired and I will not go to bed" and you have the measure of bedtimes in our house) so we have kept her in her cot for as long as physically possible. But overnight she went from still being comfy to being unable to roll over and banging her head on the sides so it was time. She was so excited when it arrived yesterday and all her toys helped test it out. She loved having her story in bed, and after only a small amount of procrastination, snuggled down and went to sleep. Matt and I kept popping in and out to look at her, snug as a bug and fast asleep in her big girl bed. Our baby, in her big girl bed! And there she stayed until 7am when she yelled "Mummy! Is it time to get up yet?" What a star. I will post some pics of her room when it is all sorted. We have to paint the bedframe this weekend, and I've ordered a gorgeous Marimekko bedspread and some fairylights. Her cot is still in her room, and we're not quite sure how we are going to get it out of there. Olive is a world class hoarder, already. Rebecca (who knows a fellow hoarder when she sees one) witnessed her carrying the empty plastic bag her freebie Carluccio's jigsaw came in from lunch on Saturday all round Canary Wharf, as well as 3 my little ponies and her Dougie, before handing it to me saying "Save this for later". She still has it, it's in her toybox and if I dare to throw it out it will not go unnoticed. She told me that we can move her cot, but only in to our bedroom as she will "Be needing it later". I really want to have a big clearout of all her baby toys but she will no doubt be "saving them for later" too.

Some more firsts today too. First time she scootered all the way to nursery. And pointed at the school building and said "That's where I'd going to Big PlaySchool mummy, with all my friends" which is brilliant as she is moving up to there in a couple of weeks and has been fervently ignoring this fact "unless Sarah is coming too". Sarah is her current key carer who she just loves more than anything so it's a big step for her to acknowledge that she is moving.

I just can't quite believe how grown up she is getting. It's terrifying how quickly the last three years have gone by, I really wish I could go back for one day to when she was a tiny baby and just sit on the sofa and hold her and look at her all day long. She's changed my life beyond belief and I never knew I would love her so. Or experience so much joy, and guilt and frustration and exhaustion and all the other stuff that comes with becoming a mother, but that's another post and one I have been writing in my head for a while now. Instead, I'll just finish with a pic from my big little girl at a friend's party on the weekend.


Isn't she lovely?
Time for a first for me - I'm off to the gym to try PowerPlating - anything that promises 2 hours worth of exercise for 20 mins worth of effort sounds good to me!

Oh, PS please no-one say it sounds like it's time to have another one 'cos that's another whole big dilemma too!

2 comments:

Gervy said...

Congratulations to Olive on her graduation to big girl's bed!

I seem to dimly remember having hoarding behaviours similar to Olive's at a young age. Is there any way you can nip that in the bud, do you think? I would so love it if I hadn't inherited that gene.

Victoria said...

Where does the time go? Way to go on the bed transition - not sure how Leila will be, she's such a monkey. Another baby, do people say that, we never got that. My opinion, not that you're asking, two is wonderful for the sibling affection that you witness, you obviously love the second one just as much but I have found it so much harder. We'd just gotten to comfortable with Ella, everything was easier, the three of us could be so active together and then, you start all over again and being older for me Leila, well I was 37 when she was born, I've found it exhausting. Think of the extra holidays and stuff you can do with only O.