
Uh-oh, what am I doing on here??? I'm supposed to be writing my essay. Why is blogging so secretively addictive? Matt is now calling me "The Geek". He came home from the Arsenal game last night (they won 2 nil) and said he could hear our mac keys tipp tipp tapping as he opened the front door.
I've got lots of notes, and am quite enjoying flicking through my journal, textbooks and jotterings while listening to an i-Tunes playlist. But it's not getting my essay written! Atomic by Blondie at the moment.
Tonight make it magnificent. Tonight, make me tonight
Oh your hair is beautiful
Ah tonight
Atomic
This is playing in one of my favourite bits of the movie Trainspotting. Renton is dancing in a club called Volcano (it rankled me at the time as Volcano is in Glasgow and Trainspotting is set in Edinburgh), having given up smack and discovering that he's almost missed rave, and in walks Kelly MacDonald, magnificent in a shiny silver minidress. His jaw hits the floor. I love that moment. She walks outside the club and he follows. A cab pulls up, she jumps in, leans over and says "Well?" So much attitude! I saw that movie in Leicester Square with the most lovely boy that I knew from home. I hadn't been living in London for long and I was moping over someone else. He had been trying everything he could think of to cheer me up, sent me flowers (he didn't know how much that got my hopes up and how they crashed down when they weren't from the one I wanted them to be from), let me cry on his shoulder, fed me grapes in the sun in Battersea Park, held my hand in the dark, took me Ceilidh dancing - oh the tunnel vision of the young, why aren't you able to see what could be right under your nose? Andrew McK where are you now and what are you doing?
Before that it was Positivity by Suede
You say what you want to say
Your diamonds are drops of rain
Your smile is your credit card
Your currency is your love
And the morning is for you
And the air is clear
And the birds sing for you and your positivity
And the cars crash for you
And the sun is free
And the sirens for you
Yes the world spins for you and your positivity
I bought the album this is from when we were living in Sydney, I think it's called A New Morning. It reminds me of sitting on our roof terrace drinking beer with Matt. Lots of Suede songs remind me of Matt. We used to listen to their first album Suede in bed when we first got together. Love So Young and Metal Mickey.
One funny talent I have is the ability to remember lyrics. I only have to hear a song once and I can sing it back pretty much word perfect. Means at the moment my head is full of earworms which are the theme tunes to various CBeebies programmes.
Oooh now it's Teenage Fanclub. This really takes me back!
i-Tunes is a wonderful thing. But this isn't getting my essay written and I only have today while O is at nursery to do it as tomorrow I'm hoping to see a friend for coffee, go to Liberty to buy a special birthday present, and a Valentines mission for M, and, I also need to bake a huge batch of brownies to take with me to the birthday weekend.
I'm signing off now, it's Sunday Morning by the Velvet Underground. And now Marlene on the Wall, Suzanne Vega. I am definitely, definitely hitting the books now. No, I am, really.

1 comment:
I loved Teenage Fanclub too - they remind me of wearing Converse and band t-shirts that were far too big for me.
I hope you got lots of work done. I remember reading on The Magpie Files about Alice's husband teasing her for blogging all the time and someone saying that 'the blog' does seem to become very much an object of fun and ridicule for a time...I've had that too, but he's given up making geek jokes now! x
Post a Comment